Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Time to re-group

Unless you've been under a rock (or have already shut down baseball for the year and are totally focus on football), the Red Sox are now down 1-3 in the ALCS. There's already plenty of press out there on the game-to-game lowlights, and lack of pitching and hitting by most of the Sox since Game 1, so I'm not going to repeat it here. Why should I contribute input other than to say its sucked. That says it all. Its not over yet thought.

What sickens me the most this Playoff season is the downright blatant disregard by TBS to provide fair and equal coverage to both teams involved in the series they are covering. Never have I seen, or heard, such a wide disparity of attention in any sports coverage slanted towards one side from a supposed national network. Examples are wide ranging from fluff stories in pregame to play-by-play action to color analysis focusing on things positive towards the Rays, and/or minimal and negative towards the Red Sox. It is pathetic! I could see if the Braves were involved, or even some slant against one of their rivals, but they aren't covering the National League at all. This is the ALCS and sure the Rays are a good story, but give me a break. There are two teams showing up, one that still are defending champions and have had a pretty good year themselves. Just sloughing that off that we already know enough about the Sox and the Rays are the only thing is BS of the highest degree.

Eff you, TBS! Chip, you do a dis-service to your Grandfather and Dad (both whom I respected as great baseball press men and broadcasters), with your over-the-top Rays rooting. I know you sucked last year, and other markets noticed, but I didn't think you'd be this awful. Its hard to find quality game announcers these days and that is sad. This time of the year, baseball fans deserve to have more than what FOX and TBS provide us with their broadcast crews. I think I'll just watch the Hot Corner online from now on, so I don't have to hear those mouths. Then again, there's always You Cast.

Oh, and I'm not the only one who feels this way. Believe me, my wife was sick of it before I was and has already sworn off watching the TBS coverage. And she's a Cubs fan! Here's some others who feel the same way:
Bleacher Report and an Open Letter to TBS
Comcastsportsnet
Salon
CamdenChat
I could go on, but why waste more time proving the obvious.

No comments: