Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Re-Upped for the start of it all

And so it begins. The Red Sox take on the Twins in an split squad game from the Grapefruit League tonight while Commander Kick-Ass gets some work in against Boston College this afternoon with the other half of the team. I just re-upped as a member of Red Sox Nation, re-newed my audio subscription on MLB.com, and I'm ready as can be. Let 'er rip!

Wednesdays this time of the year are tough already. The Dukies, and most of the ACC slate, play mid-week and that tends to interfere with the Fedurary sweeps on popular TV programs. Tonight is even more of a issue with the Sox playing. Baseball on radio at 6:05, Life and Ghosthunters at 8, Dukies @ Maryland at 8:05, CSI:NY at 9. Sure, I normally pull Life off the DVR, since I can watch it online later on, to watch the Blue Devils play, but thats getting old. Its not the same experience. Two more weeks though and it won't be a worry. 

Speaking of worry, this week has been especially tough. With the economy and the line of work I'm in, there's been the constant concern about layoffs. Thats nothing new really. I was "co-sourced" to an overseas company years ago to do the same job locally that I had done for the mother company for years. Thats helped keep me protected from alot of the corporate sector issues. This week has been very tough as the layoffs cut deeper into the employee pool that I used to be apart of. It's serial as people that have been around for a long time were let go without any heads up or severence. 

I'm reminded of the episode from "Band of Brothers" where Easy Company is holed up in a church listening to the church choir singing, having just survived hell on earth. The camera pans across the exhausted troops as the First Sgt. voice overs who they've lost for various reason. One by one, guys fade away and disappear as he talks about them. Thats what its been like. These people are no longer here.

Now those that are left, have to fight the battle still. No matter what the outside world is doing, or how stupid our leaders may be, we've got to keep plugging along. Eventually, and hopefully, it will all work out. The Prez says its going to get worse before it gets better. Well, I hope it doesn't get much more worse. These ideas he has better work, thats all I'm sayin'. I'll keep hanging on hoping my time doesn't come up to disappear and be gone. For the meantime, we've got Red Sox baseball and Blue Devil basketball to help take are minds of it all. Just in time before we lose it.

No comments: